Monday, March 15, 2010

In a Flash!



If you are like me, you can probably think of instances in your life when everything seemingly changed in the lightning flash of a split second.

Maybe it happened when that one-in-a-million girl eased her way  into the crowded room at a party. Your eyes met, she mesmerized  you with a dazzling thousand watt smile, the world around you ceased to exist and you were instantly made slave to her every beck and call. In my case, I've been under the magical spell of my wife for the last twenty or so years - and I've loved every minute of it!

Or maybe your life changed the moment you heard your newborn cry for the very first time. In ways too astounding to contemplate, you knew that an amazing adventure lay ahead of you.

These quick-change moments aren't always happy things, though. In the matter of a few seconds, a family is devastated because of a tragic automobile accident. A soldier, wearing a crisp dress uniform, steps onto your porch to tell you that your son has perished in war, bravely defending those unable to defend themselves. A call from your Grandma comes in the middle of the night to tell you that your beloved Granddad has passed on.

'I'm sorry to tell you this, Mr. Murray, but I believe that you have cancer. And, unfortunately, it looks like it is an incurable cancer of the bone marrow called Multiple Myeloma.'

I looked over at my wife and her thousand watt smile was gone. We were facing a disease that neither of us had even heard of.

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Greaat post thank you