Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's the Little Things

Having been away from home from late 2008 through 2009 during my cancer treatment, I missed lots of the 'little' things that happen everyday within the family. This morning I had the great fun to take my youngest daughter Elizabeth to get her hair cut. She is a very cute six now -we adopted her when she was almost two years old.
Lizzie walked over to the chair, slowly climbed up and shyly asked her hairdresser to 'leave it just off the shoulders, shape it in the back with a little curl and clean up the bangs, please.' I guess she knows what she wants! She also had a deluxe shampoo to wash out the temporary pink hair dye that she was sporting from a home beauty session the night before. 


The second photo is the picture Karen and I received in 2005 when we found out that Liz (then Guo Yan Wei) was available for adoption. Look at her! How could we say no?  She's come such a long way from that scared two year old to the kindergarten dynamo that she is today!   


I'm reminded of the song 'Turn Around' made famous by various artists including Diana Ross, Harry Belafonte and the Kingston Trio. You know the words:



Where are you going my little one, little one
Where are you going my baby my own
Turn around and you’re two,
Turn around and you’re four
Turn around and you’re a young girl
Going out of the door.

(c) 1957 CHERRY LANE MUSIC PUBLISHING CO INC & Reynolds, Greene and Belafonte

The kids are growing up so fast! I'm not going to let Myeloma get the upper hand and make me miss the precious 'little' things that happen everyday. They are far too important. And far too fun!


See you around Myelomaville!

No comments: