Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Move Over David Beckham...

There's a New Cowgirl in Town!


Something that I try to do, despite my challenges with Myeloma, is to celebrate the 'everyday' things that come my way. As MM crept in with the subtlety of a two-by-four hitting me between the eyes, those charming slices of life have become even more important to me. Watching my children have fun, for instance.

Like millions of kids, my six year-old daughter, Lizzie, began playing in her first organized sports league this year. She is a proud member of the Wolves in the local youth soccer league.

Her team is coached by Dustin Rogers, grandson of famed television and movie star, Roy Rogers, the Singing Cowboy, and Dale Evans, the Queen of the West. Dustin, who has a son on the Wolves, performs with his dad, Roy 'Dusty' Rogers, Jr. in a great show at the Mickey Gilley Theater in Branson, MO. If you find yourself in Branson, make sure you see this show!

Branson, for those unacquainted, is a town of 7500 people in southwestern Missouri that welcomes more than 7 million annual visitors. One of the main draws to the area is the scope of live entertainment presented. Close to 80 shows, in styles ranging from Country to Broadway, Magic, Acrobatic, Comedy, Rock n' Roll  and everything in between, are produced in nearly 50 theatres. The area's stunning natural beauty, beautiful lakes and warm, engaging people, make Branson a terrific family-friendly vacation destination. It's also a nice place to live.  


Coach Dustin couldn't be a better representative of his iconic family. Friendly, hard working, ethical and great with the kids. Roy and Dale would be proud!


Lizzie loves being out on the soccer field, mixing it up with the other kindergarten boys and girls.  She's short on skills (time will take care of that) and long on energy, heart and a sense of pure fun. She loves wearing the uniform, which she insists on calling a 'costume' because her dad produces shows.


Lizzie also loves picking up the dandelions on the soccer field.

Let Mr.Beckham try that little trick during a game!



Happy Trails & Go Wolves!

2 comments:

Lorna A. said...

Have you ever seen the movie "Bend it like Beckham"? I can picture your daughter in a few years from now curling the ball into the top corner of the goal.
Personally I went off Beckham some years back when fame and fortune overshadowed him doing his paid job properly!

Sean Murray said...

Hey, Lorna! Lizzie sure loves playing 'football.' Thanks for putting a fun visual in my mind. 'Launch It Like Lizzie!'

As you can imagine, I'm grateful for the opportunity to spend time with my girls. I will NEVER take that for granted.

Nothing at all wrong with making good living, but it seems that it's a bit sad that when money and fame comes into play, some folks (you know Mr. Beckham better than in do) lose sight of the fun and passion that brought them to the sport. I know very few athletes, but I do know many entertainers. you speak the truth. Oh well.

I think about you and Mike as you venture down this MM road. Courage Shipmates! There is land ahead!

Sean