Tuesday, April 20, 2010

One of These Things is Not Like the Others!


This is a fun game that I've played with my kids when they were younger. You've probably played it, too.






Give it a go. All but one of the items shown above is similar. Can you pick out the odd one? When you look closely, you'll notice that there are 5 pictures of 'apples' and one picture of a cascade of 'oranges.'  So which one of these things is not like the others? The 'oranges', of course.

Let's try the game again. Look at the collage below. Which one of these things is not like the others? 





Time's almost up. Here's the answer. What you see are 5 examples of some dastardly evil Myeloma cells- BOO! HISS!  And then there is a picture of some goofy guy mugging at the camera.  The guy is the odd one out, right? Hey, be nice! He's the one thing that is not like the others.

But sometimes I wonder how I see myself. Do I let Multiple Myeloma define who I am? Sure, it affects me everyday. The pain, the treatments, the medicine, the uncertain future, the incredible expense.

I may be guilty of personifying Myeloma, but I try very hard to not let it fog the essence of who and what I am. I don't want to give in to this disease one inch more than I have to. If it was a person I would call it greedy, and sneaky, and evil. It would enslave me if I let it. Left unchecked it would take my life, sooner than later. I definitely don't see it as a co-existing friend.

I am a lot of things. I am a husband, a father, a friend, a Christian. I'm a producer, a musician, a success, a failure, a goof ball in a picture. But in no way am I a walking, talking collection of cancer cells.

I understand better now what Joseph Merrick (The Elephant Man) meant when he cried out 'I am not an animal - I am a human being!'  To paraphrase, 'I am not Myeloma.'  

If you picked the goofy guy in the picture as the 'thing not like the other' you'd be right! He is the guy kicking the crud out of Myeloma and living his life. And he's never going to give up. 

Keep fighting! I'm right there with you.    Sean

5 comments:

Karen said...

That was a great! Thank you for posting that!

Sean Murray said...

Thanks, CG! Hope that you and JBJ are well! Sean

feresaknit said...

I really like that too! I heard someone else say 'There's more to me that myeloma' and your post really sums that up.

Susie Hemingway said...

Excellent post this, no never are you defined by the illness you carry. It may get in the way from time to time but to allow it to change you unless for the better, would give it far more importance than it deserves. We were much older than you when my husbands diagnosis took place and much more has advanced in the past four years. It tried to invaded our lives also but we do not allow it to spoil the life we love so. Our very best wishes to you and I for one would like to think of this nice goofy guy kicking the crud out of MM. - now that brings a smile to my face.

Sean Murray said...

Thank you all for your encouragement. Like you, I want to busy myself LIVING with myeloma, not dying from it. You're right Susie, strides are being made somewhere in the MM world every day. Including those strides being made in our own hearts and minds!